Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
In a perfect world, we would always be able to eat exactly what our bodies need, in the right amounts, to help ensure we remain as healthy as possible. However, there are these little things called life, busyness, and responsibility that get in the way. Convenience sometimes becomes a necessity.
Well, we’d like to share some tips that may help you embark on your healthy lifestyle! There are certain foods that you can (and we recommend you do) always keep on hand that will pack a nutrient-rich punch to your diet. These are called superfoods, and here are some that you may want to stock up on:
- Blueberries—These yummy berries are rich in antioxidants, phytoflavinoids, potassium, and vitamin C1…and perfect for a quick snack any time of day.
- Salmon—Fish is a great way to get your protein, and with salmon, you’re getting a healthy dose of omega 3s. This good-for-you fatty acid may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.1
- Leafy Greens—Spinach, kale, mustard greens, chard in salads, smoothies, stir-fries…the possibilities of incorporating more leafy greens in your diet are endless. And, they should be a priority, because these superfoods are filled with vitamins A, C, E, and antioxidants; may help lower the risk of certain cancers; and can help decrease the risk of heart disease, among even more benefits.2
- (Go) Nuts—Nuts are filled with unsaturated fats, omega 3s, vitamin E, and fiber, and they can help lower the low-density lipoprotein (LDL…or bad) cholesterol in your blood. In addition, they may also help improve the health of the lining of your arteries and contribute to a healthy heart.3 So, go ahead—eat a handful of your favorite nuts every day!
Are you hungry yet? If you don’t regularly include these foods in your diet, we suggest you add them to your grocery list and get started! Then, do some more research and continue to add more of your favorite superfoods to your daily menu!
1. ‘Superfoods’ Everyone Needs. WebMD website. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/superfoods-everyone-needs. Accessed August 6, 2014.
2. Dark Green Leafy Vegetables. USDA website. http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=23199. Accessed August 6, 2014.
3. Nuts and your heart: Eating nuts for heart health. Mayo Clinic website. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/nuts/art-20046635. Accessed August 6, 2014.
Except as otherwise indicated, all product names, slogans and other marks are trademarks of the Valeant family of companies. Distributed by OMP, Inc.
©2014 Obagi Medical Products Inc., a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC. XX/14 DM/OBG/14/0098
BMB Medical Group - Los Angeles Laser & Acne MD Clinic
Obagi Authorized Retailer
아름다운 병원 - 로스엔젤레스 레이저 & 여드름 클리닉